7 Questions to Ask Your Home Builder
Published on August 26, 2020
Many visitors to Southwest Florida fall in love with this tropical paradise and decide to build their dream home here. Before you choose a home builder, consider asking these questions:
- How many years have they been in business? If the builder has been around for many years this is a good indicator of a stable and experienced company. It means they have weathered even the toughest of economic times and made it through successfully. It may also signify that the company knows the market and community well, which can help you when you’re trying to determine where to build your dream home.
- Can they provide you with letters of reference? What better way to find out about your homebuilder than by talking to their clients? It’s an easy way to get a lot of information in a short amount of time. Plus you can discover where their strengths and weaknesses lie and plan accordingly.
- Will they provide you a list of addresses of homes under construction and homes completed? A builder with a number of homes completed and under construction indicates that many people have found the company to be reputable and trustworthy. This means you can feel confident in your decision to build with the company.
- How does the home design process work? From semi-custom to total custom, ideally, the builder you choose can design and build your home from scratch or if you prefer, modify an existing plan to your specifications. If the architectural designer is in-house, he or she can work directly with the entire build team to seamlessly ensure your dream home contains every detail you desire.
- Who will help you select all the colors and finishes? Choosing the right paint colors, appliances, flooring, and fixtures can be overwhelming. Make sure your homebuilder has a skilled professional who specializes in these areas to ensure you get exactly what you want.
- How flexible is the builder in accommodating changes once the building process has started? What happens when you change your mind about the flooring you chose or the size of the pool in the backyard? Make sure the company you choose is willing to work with your adjustments even after the construction process is underway.
- How will the builder communicate with you if you are living out-of-town? Trusting your home building team and the superintendent is key if you can’t be here to see the daily progress of your home. Your home building team should make it a priority to keep in touch regularly with weekly pictures and emails, so you are always in the loop. Your peace of mind should be their #1 priority.
These are just a few of many factors to consider before moving forward. This is a major investment that will last a lifetime, so you want to be sure you’re comfortable with your home building partner.
Aubuchon homes can help answer all your questions as you are evaluating builders. Our goal is to ensure your home building journey is one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. To begin your search, stop by our model homes the Mandolin, located at 1811 Cape Coral Parkway E. in Cape Coral; or the Carleton, located at 1419 Carleton Palm Ct in Fort Myers.